Aunt Annie's Soft Pretzel Replica Recipe
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1½ cup warm water
- 1⅛ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups regular flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- to taste coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- et rise at least ½ hour.
- While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 Tbsp baking soda. Be certain to stir often. After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope* (about ½ inch or less thick) and shape. Dip pretzel in soda solution and place on greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again. Bake in 450 degrees F oven for about 10 minutes or until golden. Brush with melted butter and enjoy!
- Toppings: after you brush with butter try sprinkling with coarse salt. Or for Auntie Anne's famous Cinnamon Sugar, try melting a stick of butter in a shallow bowl (big enough to fit the entire pretzel) and in another shallow bowl make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Dip the pretzel into the butter, coating both sides generously. Then dip again into the cinnamon mixture. Enjoy!
- * The longer and thinner you can make the dough rope, the more like Auntie Anne's they will be.
- *Sweet butter, not regular butter, is one of her secrets!
Recipe and photo source